OFGEM have announced a 54% rise in household energy bills. This will come into effect in April, at the same time that National Insurance goes up. RPI inflation is already 7.5%.
Inflation and rising prices are squeezing wages with barely a pay rise in sight. This new rise is happening in April when National Insurance goes up too. MPs’ pay will be going up £2000 and Shell has just announced highest profits in eight years while nearly everyone else faces rapidly declining living standards.
Disabled People Against Cuts (DPAC), Fuel Poverty Action, and rs21 have called a demonstration to demand action to tackle the cost of living crisis:
* Cut energy bills
* Control rents
* Restore the triple lock
* Increase state benefits
* Tax the rich – don’t raise NI
* Increase the minimum wage
* Insulate homes and invest in renewables
* Windfall tax on oil & gas profiteers
* Nationalise energy companies
* Freedom to strike & protest
* Social care free at the point of need
* Defend our NHS – fight poverty
Organised by Disabled People Against Cuts (DPAC), Fuel Poverty Action, and rs21