by Jonathan Neale
RRP: £15, €18, $20 (print); 348pages
Published by: Resistance Books (London), The Ecologist (Devon), The International Institute for Research and Education (Amsterdam), Alternative Information and Development Centre (Cape Town)
“This is a stirring call to action that is as practical as it is bold and radical. A how-to guide for building the kind of mass movement for climate jobs we need to avoid climate breakdown. Read it, share it, organize by it.” – Chris Williams, author of Ecology and Socialism
“Jonathan Neale has unusual gifts for writing science, technology and politics, ideas and practical plans in ways everyone can understand.” – Barbara Harriss-White, Professor of Development, University of Oxford
We are in the midst of a global pandemic and we are entering into a deep global recession, mass unemployment and the threat of runaway climate change. In every country, a great debate is beginning. What can be done about the economy and climate change? And what would a green new deal look like that meets the needs of people and the planet?
There are many books on the politics of green new deals. This one concentrates on the nuts and bolts of the climate jobs that would be part of any new deal. This is also a book for reference, which answers many of the questions people have.
There is also a political thread running through the book, which is that we have to make the necessary changes to move beyond the constraints of the market. This book also deals with the global South as much as the global North.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Jonathan Neale is a professional writer. His books include A People’s History of the Vietnam War (The New Press, 2003); What’s Wrong with America (Vision, 2004), Stop Global Warming: Change the World (Bookmarks, 2008). He One Million Climate Jobs and wrote a report on climate jobs and transport for the European Transport Workers Federation. From 2004 to 2011 Jonathan was international secretary of Campaign Against Climate Change Britain.
- THE TASKS BEFORE US: 1] Climate Jobs and Green New Deals; 2] The Basic Science; 3] The Lessons of Covid; 4] Starting with Emissions
- REWIRE THE WORLD: 5] Fossil Fuel Emissions ; 6] Wind and Solar; 7] Balancing Power and Back-Up Technologies; 8] Supergrids; 9] Renewables and Market Failure
- TRANSPORT, INDUSTRY, BUILDINGS: 10] Transport; 11] Hydrogen; 12] Industry; 13] Buildings; 14] Total CO2 Emission eductions
- METHANE AND F-GASES: 15] Leaks, Waste and Refrigeration
- FORESTS AND FARMS: 16] Fertilizer, Manure and Rice; 17] Livestock and Methane; 18] Tear Down the Walls; 19] Forests; 20] The Mirage of Net-Zero; 21] Total Emission Reductions
- CONFUSION: 22] The Politics of Confusion
- SOLIDARITY NORTH AND SOUTH: 23] The Centrality of the Global South; 24] Extractive Industries; 25] The Middle East and North Africa; 26] Money;27] An Example of Solidarity
- POSSIBLE FUTURES: 28] Climate Breakdown; 29] The Struggle is a River
FIGHT the FIRE: Green new deals and global climate jobs can be purchased from Resistance Books here.