Source >> anti capitalist midlands
A handful of Patriotic Alternative members arrived on Long Eaton Market Place early and were able to quickly put up a small platform of scaffolding poles. They were soon surrounded by anti-racists and anti-racists from local anti-racist groups and trade unions, who kept up a loud and continuous chanting to drown out any PA hate-speak.
We were quickly joined by more and more police who helped the PA supporters guarding each side of the platform to move it to a dead corner. A meeting, of sorts, then took place, with two police vans parked up as side protection and three lines of 100 police lined up in front, facing twice the number of demonstrators. Patriotic Alternative speakers could not be heard, even with their megaphone.
Total numbers: PA – no more than 70, with several from their leadership*, a group from an anti-refugee campaign group in Kegworth, North Leicestershire, and some more local people.
Police – 100+, and well organised to get the meeting held and be over and dispersed as quickly as possible. They protected them, by sealing off a street, so that they couldn’t be chased off.
Anti-racist and anti-fascist demonstrators – 200+
*Note, we now know that Patriotic Alternative has suffered a bitter split with a group, possibly the majority, hiving off to found a party “Homeland”.
It will be interesting to see if it is PA or Homeland who go to Cannock on Sunday and Walsall the following week.
We must stop them getting a toe hold in any of our towns.
Anti-Trade Union Anti-War Art Book Review Books Capitalism China Climate Emergency Conservative Government Conservative Party COVID-19 Creeping Fascism Economics EcoSocialism Elections Event Video Fascism Film Film Review France Global Police State History Imperialism Italy Keir Starmer Labour Party Leaflet Long Read Marxism Marxist Theory NATO Palestine pandemic Police Protest Resistance Books Russia Solidarity Sport Statement Trade Unionism Transgender Ukraine United States of America War
- Taiwan, militarism and the reactionary campaign against ChinaPhil Hearse argues for self-determination for Taiwan, but says that the Left must oppose the American military build up in the Indo-Pacific region and preparations for a disastrous war against China.
- Chronicle of A Riot ForetoldAfter the deaths of two young men in a road traffic incident, a riot broke out in Ely, Cardiff, highlighting the deep-seated problems in the community. This article, by Geoff Ryan, goes on to detail the poverty, unemployment, and lack of opportunity that have plagued Ely for decades. It also discusses the role of the police in the community, and the mistrust that many residents feel towards them. Geoff concludes by warning that without significant investment in Ely, future riots are not out of the question.
- Reading MandelIan Parker reviews a new book about the work of Ernest Mandel.
- Some Thoughts on Solidarity, Morality, Guilt and Atonement…In this article, Susan Pashkoff discusses the importance of solidarity, morality, guilt, and atonement in the context of social justice. Susan argues that solidarity is essential for building a more just society, and that morality, guilt, and atonement can all play a role in promoting social change.
- Breaking Boundaries and Turning Up the Volume: Inside the Revolutionary Sound of KILL, THE ICON!In the tempestuous landscape of contemporary music, writes Simon Pearson, a new rebellious voice rings out from London’s underground scene: KILL, THE ICON! The protest punk trio, established in the summer of 2020, harnesses their creative dynamism to blur the boundaries between art and activism.
After they were completely outnumbered in Llanilltud Fawr/Llantwit Major a few weeks ago Patriotic Alternative announced they would be returning today (Saturday 29th April). Sonce then Patriotic Alternative has split though some parts of the split insisted their protest against housing for refugees would still go ahead. Not a single supporter of the far right turned up. Result!