Source >> anti capitalist midlands
A handful of Patriotic Alternative members arrived on Long Eaton Market Place early and were able to quickly put up a small platform of scaffolding poles. They were soon surrounded by anti-racists and anti-racists from local anti-racist groups and trade unions, who kept up a loud and continuous chanting to drown out any PA hate-speak.
We were quickly joined by more and more police who helped the PA supporters guarding each side of the platform to move it to a dead corner. A meeting, of sorts, then took place, with two police vans parked up as side protection and three lines of 100 police lined up in front, facing twice the number of demonstrators. Patriotic Alternative speakers could not be heard, even with their megaphone.
Total numbers: PA – no more than 70, with several from their leadership*, a group from an anti-refugee campaign group in Kegworth, North Leicestershire, and some more local people.
Police – 100+, and well organised to get the meeting held and be over and dispersed as quickly as possible. They protected them, by sealing off a street, so that they couldn’t be chased off.
Anti-racist and anti-fascist demonstrators – 200+
*Note, we now know that Patriotic Alternative has suffered a bitter split with a group, possibly the majority, hiving off to found a party “Homeland”.
It will be interesting to see if it is PA or Homeland who go to Cannock on Sunday and Walsall the following week.
We must stop them getting a toe hold in any of our towns.
Anti-War Art Book Review Books Capitalism China Climate Emergency Conservative Government Conservative Party COVID-19 Creeping Fascism Economics EcoSocialism Elections Event Video Fascism Film Film Review France Global Police State History Imperialism Israel Italy Keir Starmer Labour Party Long Read Marxism Marxist Theory Migrants NATO Palestine pandemic Police Protest Resistance Books Russia Solidarity Sport Statement Trade Unionism Transgender Ukraine United States of America War
- Ofsted and the death of Ruth PerryDave Kellaway, who, as a former headteacher, had to resign following an Ofsted inspection, reacts to the coroner’s verdict on Ruth Perry’s suicide.
- No way a ‘fair COP’!!As the latest round of UN climate talks disappointingly fails to deliver the urgent action needed to halt the climate crisis, Allan Todd argues the entire COP process is less and less likely to prevent ecological catastrophe and calls for radical system change via an ecosocialist transformation to avert climate barbarism.
- Prophet Song: The Grim BookerIan Parker is reading Paul Lynch, and advises you not to
- Al‑Aqsa Flood and MiscalculationIn his latest piece, Gilbert Achcar analyses the “miscalculations” behind Hamas’ operation, Al-Aqsa Flood, which triggered a ferocious Israeli assault on Gaza leading to catastrophic destruction and loss of life.
- Singing against Ecocide in the CityDave Kellaway reports on Monday’s Climate Choir actions in the City of London.