Source >> Jewish Voice for Peace
Yesterday, hundreds of Jews and allies took over the Statue of Liberty with a clear demand: Ceasefire now.
The action marked a sharp escalation, one month into Israel’s genocidal war on Gaza. Over 10,000 Palestinians have now been killed, among them over 4,000 children.
The takeover on Liberty Island was led by JVP-NYC. Hundreds of us — young people and elders, rabbis, descendants of Holocaust survivors, elected officials — sang “Ceasefire now” and carried banners that read “The world is watching”, “Palestinians should be free”, and “Never again for anyone.”
“We came to the Statue of Liberty today because we are inspired by the words of our Jewish ancestor, Emma Lazarus, that are etched into the monument,” said Jay Saper, an JVP organizer. “Those words compel us to take action to support the Palestinians of Gaza yearning to be free. And we will continue to take action until we bring about a cease-fire and until Palestinians are free.”
The world really is watching: our action was on the front page of the New York Times.
In cities across the country, people of conscience are mobilizing to demand a ceasefire. Our protests are shifting and evolving tactically: shutting down highways, ports, train stations, and Congressional offices.
- On Thursday, November 2, over 500 faith leaders and organizers from JVP-Philly staged a sit-in inside Philadelphia’s 30th Street Station. Over 300 people were arrested, and trains were shut down for hours. Philly commuters received this alert:
- In Durham, North Carolina, JVP-Triangle organizers blocked traffic on the main highway for three hours. Congresswoman Foushee called for a “humanitarian pause” during a town hall that same evening.
- On Friday, dozens of JVP-Seattle organizers led a lockdown outside the office of Senator Patty Murray.
- Also on Friday, protesters from the Arab Resource and Organizing Center (AROC) and JVP-Bay Area locked themselves to a U.S. military supply ship at the Port of Oakland, delaying it for hours, as part of AROC’s #BlocktheBoat campaign.
- On Saturday, hundreds of thousands of people marched in Washington, D.C. in the largest pro-Palestine demonstration in U.S. history.
- On Monday, hundreds of protesters at Tacoma Port in Washington blocked a U.S. military supply ship loaded with weapons bound for Israel.
- Also on Monday, organizers locked arms and blocked the entrances to a Boeing plant in St. Charles, Louisiana that manufactures the weapons used to kill Palestinians in Gaza.
As Jews for Palestinian freedom, we won’t waver in our belief that every life is precious. We know that these false accusations of antisemitism are a cynical distraction from Israeli atrocities, and that diluting the meaning of “antisemitism” puts Jews in greater danger. We know that there is no justice in arming an apartheid state — only in solidarity with each other.
Art Book Review Books Capitalism China Climate Emergency Conservative Government Conservative Party COVID-19 Economics EcoSocialism Elections Fascism Film Film Review France Global Police State Imperialism Israel Italy Keir Starmer Labour Party Long Read Marxism Marxist Theory Palestine pandemic Protest Russia Solidarity Statement Trade Unionism Ukraine United States of America War
The Anti*Capitalist Resistance Editorial Board may not always agree with all of the content we repost, but we feel it is important to give left voices a platform and develop a space for comradely debate and disagreement.