The invasion of the National Congress, the Federal Supreme Court and the Alvorada Palace represents an attempted coup d’état. Bolsonarism continues to act with impunity, promoting this Sunday a kind of “Capitol invasion ” in Brazilian way. The leniency of the security forces of the Federal District, commanded by Bolsonaro’s former Minister of Justice, Anderson Torres, is evident. The Military Police inaction in the face of the coup escalation is widely documented. In view of this, the PSOL Federal Deputies and the PSOL National Executive defend:
- Identification and exemplary punishment of all those involved, whether terrorists involved in acts of depredation, or financiers, in accordance with the law in defense of the Democratic State of Law (Law 14197/2021);
- Federal intervention in public security in the Federal District;
- Immediate dismissal of the DF security secretary, Anderson Torres;
- A CPI Installation to investigate the negligence of the Security Forces in the CLDF and the National Congress;
- Convocation of the Governor of the DF to provide information;
- Immediate dismantling of the coup camps in front of the Army HQs in the capital and inthe states.
- The strengthening of popular mobilization against the Bolsonaro coup, with the immediate convening of street protests involving all sectors committed to the defence of democracy
Today’s action reinforces the importance that there is no forgiveness for Bolsonarists who, inside and outside the Bolsonaro government, have committed and continue to commit new crimes against the Brazilian people.
PSOL will not accept this coup offensive without reaction. In addition to claiming that the authorities defend the Democratic State of Law, against this coup initiative we will be ready to defend the sovereign will expressed in the outcome of the elections with our action in social movements, knowing that popular mobilization is crucial to stop the extreme right .
National Executive of PSOL
PSOL in the Federal District Legislative Chamber
The Partido Socialismo e Liberdade was formed by currents from the Brazilian PT who rejected participation in the Lula government. The members of the Fourth International in Brazil are members of the PSol.
The original statement in Portuguese can be found here
Anti-War Art Book Review Books Capitalism China Climate Emergency Conservative Government Conservative Party COVID-19 Creeping Fascism Economics EcoSocialism Elections Event Video Fascism Film Film Review France Global Police State History Imperialism Israel Italy Keir Starmer Labour Party Long Read Marxism Marxist Theory Migrants NATO Palestine pandemic Police Protest Resistance Books Russia Solidarity Sport Statement Trade Unionism Transgender Ukraine United States of America War